httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy -- is it possible to cache some pages and not others?
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:55:37 GMT
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Jen Wu wrote:

> I have Apache setup as a reverse proxy -- requests to my Web site go to
> Apache, Apache gets the data from my application server (Zope running Plone)
> and sends it to the client. Apache is also setup to cache requests.  This
> works great, but now we want some of the directories to be proxies for
> another app. (Miva Merchant). The tricky part here is that some of the Miva
> pages can be cached, but some can't be cached. Is this possible to do with
> mod_proxy? For example, is it possible to say only cache these directories
> but not others? Ideally, we could do this without needing to configure Miva
> to send special headers for non-cached pages, but we can look into the
> possibility of that, too (might not be feasible, though).

I think you should be reading the mod_cache pages rather than mod_proxy.
Whether and when mod_cache will cache pages depends on the HTTP request
and response headers, so if it doesn't work with your backend
applications, then a bug report is in order.

Someone mentioned mod_rewrite, but I suspect that anything you could
usefully do with mod_rewrite here would be working around some
underlying defect.

--
Nick Kew