httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:27:23 GMT
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Boyle Owen wrote:

> Having read the whole thread, here's my tuppence worth:

I haven't read the whole thread, and your answer is probably fine
in context.  But one detail needs correcting.

> A 500 Internal Server Error does not come from an authorization failure.

Yep.

> This is an error from later in the process when something (eg, CGI, PHP)
> fails while generating a dynamic page.

That's one possible cause.  The details are in the error log.

>	 So actually a 500 is good news -
> it means that the authorization succeeded

Nope.  It could mean an earlier phase failed.  Like, for example, the
server didn't have permission to read a .htaccess file.

A 500 can come from any of apache's request processing phases/hooks.

--
Nick Kew