httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tony at Bluehaze <to...@bluehaze.com.au>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Proxypass of FTP via apache 2 - is it possible?
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:32:23 GMT
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Apache will *not* act as an FTP server (without the use of third-party
> modules).  The FTP proxy support will only allow apache to act as an
> FTP client in order to grab contents from an FTP server and deliver
> them to an HTTP client.  In other words, you cannot point an FTP
> client at apache and expect apache to respond.
>
> Joshua.

    Thanks Joshua,
That does sound close, though.  That is, to move from:

Current arrangement:

Browser <-|-> IIS server (running both HTTP:80 and FTP:21)

where users currently access the IIS server for both web *and* anon FTP to:

New (desired) arrangement:

Browser <-|-> Apache <-|-> IIS server (running both HTTP:80 and FTP:21)

In other words, as you put it - "allow apache to act as an FTP client in
order to grab contents from an FTP server and deliver them to an HTTP client".

I gather from what you say that the data fetched from the FTP client will be
transformed on the way though into a standard web page for browser display?
(In much the same way as apache shows directory listings?)

Meaning that a standard FTP session won't work through it?

But it may still be useful.  A rendered web page may still allow clients
to download files from the FTP system, even if uploading is not possible.
If so, I'd still be interested if anyone knows how to fire this up.

      Tony