httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tony at Bluehaze <to...@bluehaze.com.au>
Subject [users@httpd] Proxypass of FTP via apache 2 - is it possible?
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:55:46 GMT
     Hi,
We have a number of virtual hosts defined at our main apache gateway (unix)
in our DMZ at work which are ProxyPass'd into our internal backend servers.
This has always worked well.

But a new target I had to add last week (an IIS box) also requires FTP access
(anonymous).  So I added a new virt host block for it, and the proxypass
fired up immediately for HTTP, but I can't get FTP proxying to go.  I've just
spent the last 3 days searching everywhere for any references to the use of
ftp_proxy, but found very little.

Has anyone set proxy_ftp up before and got it running?  Or am I just
misunderstanding the purpose of proxy_ftp?
                           -------------------

For the sake of completeness, the apache 2 build config I used is:

--------- snip --------
configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-module=all --enable-ssl \
--disable-auth --enable-proxy -enable-proxy-connect -enable-proxy-ftp \
-enable-proxy-http --enable-rewrite --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl
--------- snip --------

I've tried these to my httpd.conf:

--------- snip --------
Listen 150.229.66.21:21
--------- snip --------

 (150.229.66.21 being the gateway system's normal IP).
 This certainly helped - I now get a connection when I try it, but no session.

 I've even tried an extra virt host entry (total guesswork) as follows:

--------- snip --------
<VirtualHost 150.229.66.21:21>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@xxx.domain
        DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs
        ServerName www.domain
        AddHandler cgi-script      cgi
        ProxyPass  /	ftp://www-ge.domain/
        ProxyPassReverse /	ftp://www-ge.domain/
        ErrorLog logs/ftp.xxx.domain-error_log
        CustomLog logs/ftp.xxx.domain-access_log combined

        <Directory proxy:ftp://www-ge.domain.au/>
                order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
        Options Indexes FollowSymlinks ExecCGI

</VirtualHost>

but this seemed to have no effect.  The access log as defined above is full
of these sorts of lines:

aaaa.bbbb.cccc.dddd - - [29/Jun/2004:12:33:59 +1000] "quit" 501 318 "-" "-"

   Tony