httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] New user looking for .htaccess help
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:28:43 GMT

This is quite the right list - but your post leaves out some crucial
information. In particular, the apache version and OS are critical to
this question since the behaviour is different between apache 1.3 and
apache 2.

> Recently we were asked to password protect a directory for
> one of our web clients.  Our client is looking to allow
> access to certain directories on there website based on user
> name & password.  In doing so the client created a main
> directory called access and within it is a listing of
> sub-directories.  Each sub-directory has it's own .htaccess
> file which states which users are allowed to access those
> directories.  The problem we have encountered though is that
> when you go to the access directory via the clients website
> you do not see the listing of directories.  If I take the
> .htaccess file out the directory appears.

Sounds like you have apache 2. This question came up a few times in the
past and you can read about it here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=107332157613329&w=2
. This link also contains a code snippet to modify the behaviour.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> We have found the following article on the internet about
> this problem and we were hoping to get some insight on how to
> keep the .htaccess file in the directory but allow the end
> user to see the directory listing also.
>
> tp://mirror.hamakor.org.il/archives/linux-il/01-2004/8076.html
>
> Thanks
> Karin :)

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.