httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:12:05 GMT
Having read the whole thread, here's my tuppence worth:

A 500 Internal Server Error does not come from an authorization failure.
This is an error from later in the process when something (eg, CGI, PHP)
fails while generating a dynamic page. So actually a 500 is good news -
it means that the authorization succeeded but that when apache then
tried to process the request, the page failed to execute. As Joshua
tirelessly points out, check the error_log for details of the failure...

The way to test this is to remove the authorization step - ie, remove
the .htaccess file. You say you tried this but then got a 401
Authorization Required. I can't understand this - are you absolutely
sure that you only have one set of Auth directives and that they are in
the .htaccess file? Also, you can only get a 401 if you provide faulty
credentials (bad pw, username etc). You don't get a 401 the first time
you visit the page - that's not what happened, is it? Please test again
and post back *exactly* what you tried and what happened (don't skip any
steps).

BTW, I just tried your URL and got a password challenge so at least the
authorization mechanism is being triggered.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle