httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess files
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:32:54 GMT
A couple of points to note (read on):

As Bao points ou, this filename

> AuthGroupFile c:/apache2triad/passwd/groups

doesn't match this filename:

> (saved as,
> GroupName):

Here's an example setup:

AuthGroupFile c:/banana/kiwi_user.pwd
AuthGroupFile c:/banana/kiwi.group.pwd
require group Tuttifrutti

Then inside the file c:/banana/kiwi_group.pwd you have

Tuttifrutti: fred bob joe

Also, inside c:/banana/kiwi_user.pwd you must have:

fred:ou098722436ju09
bob:7oh629'nt27tih
joe:072394h90gsa0jg

ie, usernames plus encrypted passwords.

> GroupName: jazzman axeswinger
>
> Here's my error message:
>
> Server error!
> The server encountered an internal error and was unable to
> complete your
> request. Either the server is overloaded or there was an
> error in a CGI
> script.

This is a browser error - look in the apache error_log for more useful
details. I'm not sure why you get a CGI error - it might be that despite
what you say in your posting, you have actually got the correct
filenames and that authentication is succeeding but that the page behind
it is failing for a PHP programming error. Try commenting out the
authentication directives and trying to access the page - does it work?

NB authentication failure returns a 401 Unauthorized - not 500 Internal
Server Error...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
>
> Error 500
> localhost
> 06/18/04 12:32:44
> Apache/2.0.49 (Win32) PHP/4.3.6
>
> I'm not pointing the AuthGroupFile directive to a directory through
> httpd.conf.  Instead, I'm pointing through the .htaccess file.

views of the sender's company.