httpd-users mailing list archives

From <Mark.Ri...@cox.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] assembly language and apache
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:11:36 GMT
working in assembly is hard but the rewards are great. [usually]
one winds up with a program/app/etc. that screams.
on the down side, one small error can bite you in ways that say every 6 months,
your app calmly and quietly blows up your database. chasing errors like this are
painful and in the end you may never be able to find the problem.
moving even a small part of an app to machine language now limits the app to one specific
class of cpu. i.e. pentium, sparc, etc.
with less than a thorough understanding of machine code for the processor [80386 is different
from a 80486,
which is different from a pentium 1 which is different from a pentium 4, etc. etc.]
an app can easily be written that will run on the authors machine but nowhere else.
apache is too ubiquitous to be throttled in such a way.
machine code is the only way to go if you are a yahoo, askjeeves, etc.
you will then be buying a purpose built server and the code will be tailored to this machine
class and function.

higher level languages, basic ??, cobol, fortran, ada and the many variations of c all use
very stock
and thoroughly tested routines. the debug functions are well tested so that even very small
errors will show themselves.
asm is a write it, run it and cross your fingers code.
unless you are a version of lotus, microsoft, ibm, or a very rich person, you will not be
able to afford a proper asm debug suite.
so now with asm parts coming from unknown sources, the quality and reputation of apache and
other programs come into question
applying asm to programs like apache, i feel, is a giant step backward.
apache in its present form, runs on anything that has a c compiler.
even the bloated monstrosity by microsoft.
moving even a small part of an app to machine language now limits the app to one specific
class of cpu. i.e. pentium, sparc, etc.

mark.rippe@cox.com

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
-Albert Einstein