httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Poythress, Lynn" <apoyt...@skymail.csus.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Moving apache from one host to another
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:50:11 GMT
Hello,

We are currently running Apache 1.3.19 on an HP-UX 11.00 machine. I'm
new at creating web servers, so please bear with me!
I have moved it to a new server - renaming the ServerName variable (from
my.oldhost.name.edu to my.host.name.edu) in the httpd.conf file.
I've also added port 5556 to the new /etc/services file as the apache
port.   I can successfully start and stop apache - without any errors.
However, when I try to access the server via the browser I run into
problems.

If I use IE I get an error that says 'Cannot find server or DNS error'.

If I use Netscape I just get an error pop-up box that says the
connection was refused.

I'm just typing in the hostname on the browser - ie.
http://my.host.name.edu.  If I type http://my.host.name.edu:5556 I get
the same errors.

Do I need to re-run the configure, make and make install steps?  The
doc. makes it sound like I can change httpd.conf without re-doing any of
that.

Any ideas as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynn Poythress
California State University, Sacramento