httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Kommuru, Bhaskar" <Bhaskar.Komm...@standardbank.co.za>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] httpd.conf - tuning performance
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:26:47 GMT
Thanks Eugene & Robert, It is helping now.
The document says as below.
         BeOS - beos
         Netware - mpm_netware
         OS/2 - mpmt_os2
         Unix - prefork
         Windows - mpm_winnt
1. When apache uses "worker.c" module
2. My apache2.0.49 is compiled with "prefork". So it mean i can use only
directives that are available from  "prefork" and not from "workder.c".

I am getting there, bit struck here. Please help me
Thanks
Bhaskar

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Andersson [mailto:robert@profundis.nu]
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 11:07 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] httpd.conf - tuning performance

httpd.conf - tuning performance[plain text, please...]

Kommuru, Bhaskar write:
> I have come across "<IfModule prefork.c>" and "<IfModule worker.c>".
> What is the difference between them? Is it executed based on the operating
> system?

They are examples of MPMs (Multi-Processing Modules) and primirily deals
with how Apache deals with requests on a low level. You can read about them
here:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/prefork.html
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/worker.html

You select which MPM to use at compile time, you can only have one, and you
need to recompile to change it later. You can find out which MPM your Apache
has by running "httpd -V" (*nix) or "apache -V" (windows).

Regards,
Robert Andersson

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For information about the Standard Bank group visit our web site <www.standardbank.co.za>
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business of Standard
Bank Group Limited  is proprietary to the group.
It is confidential, legally privileged and protected by law.
Standard Bank does not own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions are those of
the sender unless clearly stated as being that of the group.
The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the sender
immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read,
disclose or use the content in any way.
Standard Bank can not assure that the integrity of this communication has been maintained
nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.