httpd-users mailing list archives

From cnel...@nycap.rr.com
Subject [users@httpd] Generating keys for mod_ssl
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:47:54 GMT
(I'm not sure this is quite the right forum to ask but I hope you'll bear with me though what
might be an only tangentially-related question.)

I'm trying to get set up to use mod_ssl with Apache httpd 1.29.  For various reasons, I can't
get openssl to install and run on my Linux system.  I was able to get Sun's keytool installed
but it seems to generate keys in a different format (I'm not sure how to get keytool to create
a server.key to put in my ssl.key directory).

I've found some web resources which talk me thought using openssl to configure mod_ssl files
and pages that talk about jsse vs. mod_ssl or keytool vs. openssl but nothing that really
helps me do what I need to do: generate a self-signed certificate (and corresponding private
key) for my web server.  Now I'm trying to understand enough to ask better questions or figure
out what's going wrong.

- Can I use keytool to create the files for mod_ssl?  How do I get data out of a keytool keystore
and into a mod_ssl ssl.key file?

- I inherited this system from someone else and don't understand why he did somethings.  Like,
why would I ever want a server.csr file on my production system.  Isn't certificate signing
something that'd be done offline?

- What do I really need to run mod_ssl?  Just ssl.key/server.key and ssl.crt/server/crt?
What else?  Why?

Thanks for any pointers.

                            Chris