httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian L <apa...@merk.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.48 user auth not working
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 01:22:57 GMT
At 05:58 PM 6/17/2004, you wrote:
>(This looks like a repost.  If it is, I think it would be nice to say so,
>and perhaps wait more than a day to post again.)
>
>Ian L <apache@merk.caltech.edu> wrote:
> > I'm trying to password protect a directory under apache, but apache isnt
> > asking for a password. Its letting me view html and executing cgi pages. I
> > used pretty much the same config on another site running on this machine
> > and that is working. This one though just acts like there's no
> > authentication at all.
> >
> > Any idea what i did wrong?  (i did restart apache) here's the relevant
>conf
> > file section:
> >
> > <VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.:80>
> >   ServerName domain.name
> >   DocumentRoot /disk/whis-site
> >   CustomLog logs/access_log_whis combined
> >   <Directory /disk/whis/phppgadmin>
> >    Options +ExecCGI
> >    AuthType Basic
> >    AuthName "Whis"
> >    AuthUserFile /disk/whis_PassFile
> >    Require valid-user
> >   </Directory>
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > thanks
>
>You might need to tell Apache to deny access unless authentication has been
>done, with something like
>
>     Order deny,allow
>     Deny from all
>then
>     AuthType Basic
>     AuthName "Whis"
>
>Someone please say something if I'm wrong; I'm no guru. ;)  Hope this helps,
>==Joey

it is a repost, but i thought my first post hadnt gone through...since i
gues it did, sorry for the duplicate.

as for your suggestion ... i will try it later but i dont think thats it. I
have another virtual host set up on the same machine which IS prompting for
a username and password and i didnt use the Deny clause.

I'll give it a try anyhow though since it cant hurt.

thanks