httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Saki.Lilish" <Saki.Lil...@microlinear.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache - NFS Problem
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:17:11 GMT
Hi All,

I am facing problem, we have small environment of two web servers (Solaris 8) and our HTDocs
and other log files of Apache are on NFS directories on NetApp filer (OnTap version 6.5.r1)

Strangely, whenever I start apachectl service the nfs on Solaris stops responding. There are
no network problems and nfs mounts works fine if apache is never started. I checked lockFile
directive and it configured to reside locally.

Following is part of httpd.conf

=====================
### Section 1: Global Environment
#
# The directives in this section affect the overall operation of Apache,
# such as the number of concurrent requests it can handle or where it
# can find its configuration files.
#

#
# ServerRoot: The top of the directory tree under which the server's
# configuration, error, and log files are kept.
#
# NOTE!  If you intend to place this on an NFS (or otherwise network)
# mounted filesystem then please read the LockFile documentation (available
# at <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#lockfile>);
# you will save yourself a lot of trouble.
#
# Do NOT add a slash at the end of the directory path.
#
ServerRoot "/usr/local/wwwroot"

#
# The accept serialization lock file MUST BE STORED ON A LOCAL DISK.
#
<IfModule !mpm_winnt.c>
<IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
LockFile /var/tmp/accept.lock
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

#
# ScoreBoardFile: File used to store internal server process information.
# If unspecified (the default), the scoreboard will be stored in an
# anonymous shared memory segment, and will be unavailable to third-party
# applications.
# If specified, ensure that no two invocations of Apache share the same
# scoreboard file. The scoreboard file MUST BE STORED ON A LOCAL DISK.
#
<IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
<IfModule !perchild.c>
#ScoreBoardFile /usr/apache/www/logs/apache_runtime_status
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

#
# PidFile: The file in which the server should record its process
# identification number when it starts.
#
<IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
PidFile /var/run/httpd.pid
</IfModule>

=============================

The problem started mostly after Filer and servers rebooted because of power failure. However
nfs mounts works fine before starting apache. But after starting apachectl nfs mounts no longer
are working also apachectl doesn't spawns processes as it usually does. Solaris web servers
have been recently patched.

Could it be apache installation has been corrupted? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lilish Saki
Systems Administrator
Micro Linear Corporation