httpd-users mailing list archives

From Phillip B Bruce <pbbr...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] New apache user needing advice
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:11:02 GMT

Andrew,

   Hosting your own web site.

   1. Need to setup DNS servers
   2. Setup a Mail Server
   3. Setup a secure Firewall
   4. Setup a web server
   5. Obtain a certificate for your SSL (Verisign or Thawrte)

   The dhs.org looks like they will help you with DNS services
   But I don't trust using services outside of my own network.
   In otherwords the DNS server would be setup and run within
   my own network. Be sure you find out if they offer pure
   authentications and that the domain is secure. Otherwise
   either setup your own DNS and domain or gotto a hosting
   service that will allow you total control of the servers.
   I figure that is why you want to setup your own hosting
   service.

   Another thing to consider. If your web server is expected
   high demands. You best go with a hosting provider that
   has that bandwidth rather than setting up your own.

   DSL will not quite do it depending on the bandwidth of service
   you have choosen. Since your putting on this cart. I assume
   you plan on selling products or services to the outside world.
   If you don't have enough bandwidth, your users will be frustrated
   with the response time depending on how complex you make your site.

   Also High Bandwidth beyond T1 is very expensive.

   Also make sure before you install any services that you harden
   your server making it secure. That includes setting up your
   firewalls.

   Good luck.

Phillip