httpd-users mailing list archives

From Roger <crosseyedpeng...@cox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache behind a router
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:32:41 GMT
Alex Cairncross wrote:

> ok so, I've scoured the internet for every resolution to fix this and
> still haven't resolved the issue.
>
> I'm running a Linksys wrt54g router with one computer on a wireless,
> and mine directly to the router.
>
> I can access apache when it's running on both the computers so I'm
> fine with apache I assume. However I have the problem that I've read
> in many places, that no one outside can access my server.
>
> port forwarding is set properly to 80, directed to my machine's IP. if
> I try and listen on another port and forward it accordingly, i just
> get the router admin page.
>
> when I try and do a port scan there is no response to my TCP.
> I don't think it responds to any ping either. I disabled block
> anonymous internet requests, so that maybe it would work, but that
> failed as well.
>
> I'm sure the issue is my router and not apache
> but I've been trying everything I possibly can to try and make it so
> that my server shows up to other remote computers. It doesn't make
> sense that everythign is set up properly, and my forwardning should
> work but apparently it's not working for whatever reason.
>
> Is there anyone that can help me resolve this?
> I've searched FAQ's and tons of forum threads on the same exact
> problems to no avail.
>
> thanks for your time
>
> ~alex

 A possibility is you have an unfriendly ISP and they have blocked port
80 because running a web server on your residential service is a
violation of your TOS (Terms Of Service). Or you have a very friendly
ISP and they have blocked port 80 to prevent your PC from being infected
by a virus.

Assuming you have the firewall protection enabled under the "security"
tab (a very good idea), go to the "applications & gaming" tab and enable
the port you wish to use. Additional details may include nailing your IP
address (not using DHCP) on the PC running apache.

To test whether your ISP has port 80 blocked, tell apache to listen on
some port with a high number below 65,735 (say 54321) and try to access
from the outside world like this:
  http://123.123.123.123:54321

where 123.123.123.123 is your external IP address from your router
"status" tab and 54321 is the port you used in the apache Listen statement.

Roger