httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David W. Gulley" <d-gul...@dstny.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Environment diference between UNIX and windows
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:52:18 GMT
I have (had) two reasons for asking:
   1) esthetics:
     I wanted to setup the directory of in-house test websites according
to client and support requirements, but did not want that monstrosity
carried over into what the CGI was handling.

   2) A problem with Perl's File::Find module:
      When running perl under taint mode, the Find routine fails due to
the colon (:) in the windows pathname! A simple patch, but now the code
is no longer "standard".

   I realize the difference is fundamental in how the two OSs work,
however, I had hoped that using aliases and/or symbolic links, I could
fool the CGI into not noticing the differences...

I assumed that a virtual host could "think" it was located at x when in
reality it was at a/b/c/x. After all why does the server have to tell
the "truth" about where things are located. !}

David