httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Gordon <mgord...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Missing larger images
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:24:40 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>>>I've gathered from this list that Apache and Windows don't play well
>>>together unless you try combinations of the following directives:
>>>
>>>EnableSendfile Off
>>>EnableMMAP Off
>>>Win32DisableAcceptex
>>>
>>>Indeed, I think the problem of large files breaking is a common sympton that
>>>can be solved with the Sendfile directive there.  I've never tried Apache on
>>>Windows, but these seem to have worked miracles for people in the past.
>>>

>This advice is correct.  The general problem is that many people install
>various add-ons to windows (such as software firewalls, virus checkers,
>etc) that break some of the advanced functionality that apache uses to
>speed the sending of files.  These directives turn off the advanced
>functionality and make apache fall back to more basic (but slower)
>techniques.

Your analysis of the problem is correct in my case.  Apache and Windows
XP Pro performed flawlessly with all the latest Windows Updates and
Norton's Internet Security Pro installed.  All worked very well together
until I installed ZoneAlarm 5.0 Suite.    There is something inside
ZoneAlarm 5.0 that breaks Apache from serving images.

Unfortunately in todays world we have to use Windows PCs for
productivity reasons to build our web applications, in doing so we must
have a powerful firewall and anti-virus application installed and
running 24/7.  Norton's was very good until their technical support went
to Hell, we cannot have any application where we cannot receive
excellent support, business competition will not allow downtime for lack
of support.  If ZoneAlarm proves to be in the same category of support
as Norton's we will be looking elsewhere soon.

While I still have my soapbox to stand on I will shout to the world this
message; it is support groups like the Apache Group that provide the
needed solutions for users like myself, without your guidance and
support we would not be able to exist as a small business.  Thank you
all for your generous support and time.

>>The only attribute I could not find was the Win32DisableAcceptex, it is
>>possible it is not included in some win 32 builds for Apache?
>>

>As you can see here:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_winnt.html#win32disableacceptex
>this directive is available in version 2.0.49 and later.

Thank you Joshua, for the updated information.

Michael Gordon

>Joshua.

Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...