httpd-users mailing list archives

From irisson jean-olivier <jo.iris...@noos.fr>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problem with distant vs. local acces with apache 2
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:43:58 GMT
Thank you for all the answers I got. nevertheless, the server is still
not working properly. here are my reactions to your suggestions. hope
that helps...

Vasiliy Boulytchev wrote:
> My first guess with Md 10.0 is msec :)

I guess this was a joke but sorry, my english/computer knowledge is not
good enough to understand this one... :-(

> Check the following files:
> /etc/hosts.allow
> smtp : ALL : allow
> httpd : ALL : allow
> sshd: All: allow
> mysqld: ALL: allow
> in.ftpd : ALL : allow

I modified my /etc/hosts.allow and add these lines. reboot. nothing
changed. :(

> On you LAN, bring up any shell, and give this command
>    telnet web.ip.whatever.it.is 80
>     after you get into the box (if you do), give
>    get/
>    do you get HTTPBLAH?  If yes, lookat your logs/error.log on the server.

I don't really have a LAN as I'm setting this on my personnal computer
which is not part of a network (just connected to the internet).
nevertheless I tried to telnet my machine on port 80 from a distant one
and I can't get into it.  :( again

Michael wrote:
 > Are you typing in the IP of the machine in order to access the page at a
 > distance, such as http://xx.xx.xx.xx/index.html?  Is it a static IP
 > being used?

I'm typing exactly this. my IP is kind of static (my provider changes it
from time to time but something like every two months).

Zoe Ballz wrote:
 > Oops I just remembered - I actually set the servername to
 > notavailable.com about a week ago, yet it still works. All my point is
 > that perhaps you are better setting it to something rather than nothing.

I tried this before my first post and it was ineffective. anyway, by
default when apache is not provided with a ServerName, it uses the ip
adress so I guess it works the same.

 > It should be your EXTERNAL IP address if you are running through a
 > router - not the local network IP address.

I don't think I'm running behind a router (I've a direct cable
connection to the internet but I don't really know what's exactly behind
this cable plug of mine ;-) ). Anyway, I can ping this IP and access to
it via SSH of FTP from a distant computer so I guess I should be an
external address.

 > To see it work (if you want a laff) and are not easily
 > offended http://82.34.88.179 !!!!!!!!!!

I can't see anything at this address. My browser keeps trying to connect
to the IP without success (exactly as the distant instance of lynx I'm
running to try to view the pages I'm serving...). May be you have the
same problem that me!!

 > The virtual domains are hidden behind the page !!

????

 > Another thought - on your network card - if you run though a router,
 > have you got the gateway set to the routers address? Wrong gateway
 > settings lead to all sorts of interests effects!

I don't think I'm behind a router so this should be OK.

too bad all this doesn't work... any new ideas giving what I'm sending
you? here is a summary of my situation:
- linux Mandrake 10 box serving pages with apache 2.0.48 through a basic
cable connection (should be the same as an ADSL I guess). all apache
default config.
- a browser opened on this machine displays any index.html page in the
DocumentRoot at the adresses http://localhost/ and
http://##.###.###.###/ where the numbers are my static IP.
- I ssh to a distant machine of one of my friends and lauch:
 > lynx http://##.###.###.###/
nothing happens (lynx keeps trying to connect to my IP without success)
and finally lynx quits (delay overpassed).
On this same machine:
answers:
but
 > telnet ##.###.###.### 80