httpd-users mailing list archives

From irisson jean-olivier <jo.iris...@noos.fr>
Subject [users@httpd] problem with distant vs. local acces with apache 2
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:21:36 GMT
hi everybody,

I encounter a problem that a search on google/groups/mailing list
archive cannot solve. I have seen a few somehow similar posts (so my
problem might not be completely unique) but no usefull solutions.

I've Apache 2.0.48 set up on a Mandrake Linux 10.0 (installed with rpms:
apache2-2.0.48-6mdk.rpm). All the options are the default ones.

I launch the server as root by typing:
 > httpd2

Opening a browser on my machine I can see the content of /var/www/html/
(my DocumentRoot). I can either see the default page or any index.html
page I put there (in fact I'm mounting virtually my web site directory
in /var/www/html by:
 > mount --bind /home/me/mywebsite/ /var/www/html/ ).

I can see the page either under the adress:
http://localhost/
of the adress:
http://my.ip.addr.ess/

The only warning I'm receiving when I launch httpd2 is:
 > httpd2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name,
using ##.##.##.### for ServerName
where the numbers are my ip adress. which is predictable as I haven't
set the ServerName in httpd2.conf. I'm installing this server on my
personal computer at home and therefore, I don't have a domain name as I
would in an organisation. But I do not think this is a problem (maybe my
mistake is there...)

Therfore LOCALLY everything seems to be working fine.

Nevertheless when I try to see the web site from a DISTANT computer I
receive a blank page and an error message saying that the browser cannot
connect to the page. I don't understand why because:
- I can ping my IP from the distant computer
- I have an SHH and an FTP server installed and I can access them from
distant machines with no problems
- I do not have a firewall blocking port 80
- I cannot see any access restriction in the default httpd2.conf I'm using.

any help would be welcome. I have the feeling that I'm missing something
obvious but I really can't find what.

thank you in advance.

JiHO.

PS:my httpd2.conf (if any other material is needeed I will send it):

### Main Configuration Section
### You really shouldn't change these settings unless you're a guru
###
ServerRoot /etc/httpd/2.0
#ServerName localhost
#LockFile /etc/httpd/httpd.lock
PidFile /var/run/httpd.pid
ErrorLog logs/error_log
LogLevel warn
DocumentRoot /var/www/html

### Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support
###
### You should always leave those three, as they are needed for
### normal use.
### mod_access (Order, Allow, etc..)
### mod_log_config (Transferlog, etc..)
### mod_mime (AddType, etc...)

LoadModule access_module        modules/mod_access.so
LoadModule auth_module          modules/mod_auth.so
LoadModule auth_anon_module     modules/mod_auth_anon.so
##LoadModule auth_dbm_module    modules/mod_auth_dbm.so
LoadModule auth_digest_module   modules/mod_auth_digest.so
##LoadModule charset_lite_module        modules/mod_charset_lite.so
##LoadModule case_filter_module modules/mod_case_filter.so
##LoadModule case_filter_in_module      modules/mod_case_filter_in.so
##LoadModule ext_filter_module  modules/mod_ext_filter.so
LoadModule include_module       modules/mod_include.so
LoadModule log_config_module    modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule logio_module         modules/mod_logio.so
LoadModule env_module           modules/mod_env.so
##LoadModule mime_magic_module  modules/mod_mime_magic.so
##LoadModule cern_meta_module   modules/mod_cern_meta.so
LoadModule expires_module       modules/mod_expires.so
LoadModule headers_module       modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule usertrack_module     modules/mod_usertrack.so
##LoadModule unique_id_module   modules/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule setenvif_module      modules/mod_setenvif.so
LoadModule mime_module          modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule status_module        modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule autoindex_module     modules/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule asis_module          modules/mod_asis.so
LoadModule info_module          modules/mod_info.so
LoadModule cgi_module           modules/mod_cgi.so
##LoadModule cgid_module                modules/mod_cgid.so
LoadModule vhost_alias_module   modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
LoadModule negotiation_module   modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule dir_module           modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule imap_module          modules/mod_imap.so
LoadModule actions_module       modules/mod_actions.so
##LoadModule speling_module     modules/mod_speling.so
LoadModule userdir_module       modules/mod_userdir.so
LoadModule alias_module         modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module       modules/mod_rewrite.so

###
### Global Configuration
###
# We now support multiple apache configurations on the same server. In
# common.conf, we put all directives that are common to all implementations
# (httpd, httpd-perl, etc.)
# For Apache2 we load all conf files in conf.d
Include /etc/httpd/conf.d/*.conf
Include conf/commonhttpd.conf

###
### IP Address/Port and Proxied configuration section
###
# The APACHEPROXIED setting can be set in /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd if you
# are using a proxy or accelerator, like the Apache-SGI or khttpd, so that
# the fast web server serves static content while Apache handles the
# cgi or php files

#BindAddress *
<IfDefine APACHEPROXIED>
     Listen 8080
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine !APACHEPROXIED>
     Listen 80
</IfDefine>

# Likewise, we can set apache as the server by default and send perl
# requests via ProxyPass to apache-mod_perl. It increases performance
# since the perl interpreter is only used for perl and the standard apache
# does all the html and image files, with a smaller footprint.
#
# If you install apache and apache-mod_perl, this is the default config.
# If you don't want two web servers to use perl, uninstall apache, and
# apache-mod_perl will not be proxied.

<IfDefine PERLPROXIED>
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
     RewriteEngine on
     RewriteRule ^proxy:.*  -  [F]
     RewriteRule ^(.*\/perl\/.*)$  http://%{HTTP_HOST}:8200$1 [P]
     RewriteRule ^(.*\/cgi-perl\/.*)$  http://%{HTTP_HOST}:8200$1 [P]
</IfModule>
</IfDefine>

###
### Log configuration Section
###

<IfModule mod_log_config.c>
#Single logfile with access, agent and referer information
#This is the default, if vlogs are not defined for the main server
CustomLog logs/access_log combined env=!VLOG
#If VLOG is defined in conf/vhosts/Vhost.conf, we use this entry
CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/advxsplitlogfile" vhost env=VLOG
</IfModule>

###
### Virtual Hosts
###
# We include different templates for Virtual Hosting. Have a look in the
# vhosts directory and modify to suit your needs.
Include conf/vhosts/Vhosts.conf
#Include conf/vhosts/DynamicVhosts.conf
#Include conf/vhosts/VirtualHomePages.conf

###
### Performance settings Section
###
#
# Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
#
Timeout 300

#
# KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than
# one request per connection). Set to "Off" to deactivate.
#
KeepAlive On

#
# MaxKeepAliveRequests: The maximum number of requests to allow
# during a persistent connection. Set to 0 to allow an unlimited amount.
# We recommend you leave this number high, for maximum performance.
#
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

#
# KeepAliveTimeout: Number of seconds to wait for the next request from the
# same client on the same connection.
#
KeepAliveTimeout 15

# prefork MPM [THIS IS THE DEFAULT]
# StartServers: number of server processes to start
# MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxClients: maximum number of server processes allowed to start
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers         5
MinSpareServers      5
MaxSpareServers     10
MaxClients         150
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

# worker MPM
# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
# MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         2
MaxClients         150
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

# perchild MPM
# NumServers: constant number of server processes
# StartThreads: initial number of worker threads in each server process
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxThreadsPerChild: maximum number of worker threads in each server
process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of connections per server process
<IfModule perchild.c>
NumServers           5
StartThreads         5
MinSpareThreads      5