httpd-users mailing list archives

From Luis Moreira <luis.more...@esinnovation.pt>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Blocking Visitors
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:30:22 GMT
Michael Simpson wrote:

>Hi David.
>
>You can use .htacccess to allow/deny users or ipaddresses access to certain
>pages on the website. There's full documentation on Apache's website -
>search for .htaccess.

>Michael Simpson
>Systems Development
>Express Newspapers
>mailto:michael.simpson@express.co.uk
>020-7922-7225 (w)
>020-7922-7799 (f)

Not only.
You can also use "directives" from whithin the config itself, allowing
some people and denying others.
Read the docs at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_access.html.
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_access.html> Lots to look at, there.
As to the IP, basically yes, every PC has a unique IP. It can, however,
not be seen as such, but that is a different world...
Assuming you are a "home user", you have your IP, fixed or dynamic,
given by your provider.

On a Windows machine, at a command prompt, you do

C:\>ipconfig

and get something like

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : xxx.xxx
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : your IP
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : your net mask
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : your gateway (next router/hop)

Luis