httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Denner <m...@denner.demon.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] .htaccess causes intermittent errors with Windows XP Web Folders
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:17:02 GMT
Hi,

I hope I'm not being stupid with this but I think I've discovered a
problem in Windows XP WebFolders when connecting to an Apache2 server
and I'd like someone more knowledgeable to confirm / deny this.

My setup is a SuSE 9.1 server running Apache 2.0.49 and a Windows XP
Professional (Service Pack 1) client.

If I configure my users public_html directories to be accessible by
WebDAV from the main configuration file I have no problems.  The
relevant configuration section is:

Dav On
<Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Limit>
<LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from 192.168.0.5
</LimitExcept>

I have absolutely no problem copying, deleting, or moving files when the
system is configured like this.

However, I'd like to use .htaccess files, so I changed the main
configuration so that it looks like:

Dav On
<Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Limit>
<LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
   Order deny,allow
   Deny from all
</LimitExcept>

I then create a .htaccess file in the public_html folder for a user with
the <Limit> and <LimitExcept> directives as first specified, with 'Allw
from 192.168.0.5' ('Dav On' remains in the main configuration file).

With this setup I can open the folder fine (I see all the files,
including .htaccess) but in my error_log on the server I see:

[Tue Jun 01 10:55:24 2004] [error] [client 192.168.0.5] client denied by
server configuration: /home/matt/public_html/.htaccess

Because the standard Apache2 configuration limits access to .htaccess
files, not that I need to tell you that!

I then try to copy 'foobar.txt' to the folder but my client reports
"Cannot copy foobar: The network path was not found".  If I wait for
about a minute and try again it succeeds, but I see the '.htaccess'
error reported again.

If I immediately try to delete the 'foobar.txt' file I copied my client
reports "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk".
  Wait a minute, and I can delete it!

I'm assuming that, because '.htaccess' is limited, that somehow the
Windows XP WebFolder client gets confused?  Does this sound like a
plausible explanation and something I could report to Microsoft?  My
feeling is that it is but also that there must be something I can do
with Apache to "hide" the '.htaccess' file from the WebDAV clients (why,
if it's limited using the <Files> directive, does it appear anyway?),
and that someone must have hit this way before I did!

FYI, I put back the configuration so that the Web Folder had working
access, then made an empty .htaccess file in public_html and tried
again: I got exactly the same results as I have just described above
with errors being reported on the client.

I guess, as a side question, I suppose what I am aiming to do is "safe"?
  I mean, using .htaccess files to control WebDAV access to folders,
after all, with the <Files> directive in place they shouldn't be able to
do anything to it.

Matt