httpd-users mailing list archives

From oli...@veryhip.com
Subject [users@httpd] match pid's to requests?
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2004 11:55:26 GMT
G'Morning,

I want an easy or possibly cryptic way to find out which PID is handling
which request.  I have found Apache::DebugInfo, but am looking for a more
direct approach; some file I can open and view or something similar.  I
have a memory leak in some CGI or PHP script and want to find out where it
is.  I have an apache instance as I speak that is 331MB and growing.
Several at 100MB.  After a while, it swaps and gets worse.  It will run
fine for a long time after I shutdown and restart apache, but then it will
hit that bad script, start to grow, and at last: die.

I search the log after it shuts down, but it stops writing to the log
after it gets that bad, or so it seems.  It looks like it's a bot hitting
my pages and causing this effect because it's usually Yahoo's new Slurp
all over my logs right before death occurs to the server, but I still
can't locate the exact script because I think those requests that kill it
are happening a while back and then KeepAlive is just keeping it
connected, or something like that... If you've read this far you probably
know what I mean.  I have played around with KeepAlive settings, made my
timeout 10 and brought child requests down to 15 and other ridiculously
low figures for other config labels.  But this is a P4 2.4 800fsb 1 gb
DDR400 and a 160GB ata133, it should run the stock apache just fine.
There is a bad script somewhere.  I have lots of rewrites, and it might be
a bad rewrite, but I can't pinpoint.

<HELP>
Apache 1.3.26
Debian 2.4.24-xfs custom kernel