httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gary Smith" <g...@primeexalia.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Error logs showing status 304 for images. Why?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 18:00:10 GMT
What's the site load versus the number of children apache can spawn.  If you have the default
20 and you have a high volume site then maybe they can't get the image because it is timing
out.

We ran into this with a site receiving about a million hits per day (including images).  They
have many small images but during peak day usage they might have 50 people trying access the
site which has 20-30 images on it.  That's 1500 simultaneous requests.  In our can we bumped
the children up to a much higher number and it seems to work well now.  Because this clients
would get broken images.

Hope this helps.

Gary

________________________________

From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Tue 6/1/2004 10:50 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; gerard.isdell@kinetic.co.uk
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Error logs showing status 304 for images. Why?

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Gerard Isdell wrote:
> Some visitors to my website are complaining that sometimes they can't see
> images on the site.  I've looked in the error logs and found lots of GETs of
> images with a status code of 304 e.g.
>
> 80.41.236.203 - - [27/May/2004:21:20:24 +0000] "GET
> /members/photos/alexpic3.jpg HTTP/1.1" 304 - "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
> MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; generic_01_01)"
>
> As far as I can make out, this is an issue in which the server responds with
> the 304 code, essentially saying the image hasn't been modified, and telling
> the browser to use the version in it's cache.

The 304 status code is perfectly normal, so you need to look a little
deeper.  What exact problem are you seeing?  Have you examined exactly the
headers that are being sent in the HTTP request and response?  If you
"touch" the file (to make the server think it changed) can the client get
the image?

Joshua.