httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gary Smith" <g...@primeexalia.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Million+ web pages in a single directory?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:45:56 GMT
This should be a question for your little brother as I'm sure he ran into this problem with
his MP3 collection :).  Though Windows can handle a good number of files it starts to choke
when there are too man of them.  My full time job has a set of SMTP servers that handle mail
by dropping three files per email into a directory (header, content and control file).  When
we get over 5,000 files it starts to choke.  Memory helps for caching but only to a certain
level.

As mentioned in some of the other responses there are multiple factors (such as drive types,
cache controller memory, etc).  I would highly recommend against this strategy though.  I'm
a Windows fan but it will die on this process.

Either pick another environment or rethink the layout into a set of subdirectories a few layers
deep.

We do something like this as work:

docs/year/month/day (as we publishing about 500 files a day to our web servers).

We have close to 1M over the last 5 years of files (mostly XML files).

HTH's

Gary