httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Gale <mich...@bluesuperman.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] load balancing wih sticky session ??
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:18:55 GMT
Hello,

	You see the http connection to the application server requires a
session. So when you login and are accessing the java pages your browser
has a cookie with the session id and your session data is saved in
memory on the application server.

So if I have 4 app servers and client A connects and hits app server
1, then session data for client A will only be stored on app server 1
for the remainder of the session.

The next time if client A logs in to app server 2 then that session data
will be stored in app server 2. I realize this is crappy way ... but I
did not make the programs I only just got involved because they want to
cluster the application servers.

So my load balancer needs to be able to do HTTP session tracking so it
can direct the client to the correct app server.

Can apache do this by it self or with any third party software ?

Michael