httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Starbuck <skij...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: virtual IP based hosting with static IP?
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:28:38 GMT
Yes. I assigned some ip aliases to the single nic card using ifconfig but I don't see how apache
can map to these addresses using ip-based virtual hosting.  I can how apache can map to them
using the domain name if i set up name-based hosting but if I use ip-based hosting then the
ip address of both domains will be the same on an incomming request and apache will not be
able to distinguish which domain the ip is referring to.

in short, i can do name-based hosting but I read that I can't if I want one of the domains
to process credit cards in which case I need https and therefore must use ip-based hosting.

Please correct my assumptions if I'm wrong this is new territory for me.

jeffrey_n_Dyke@Keane.com wrote:

Mike Starbuck wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Is it possible to do IP based virtual hosting from a
>> server behind a router that has been given a single
>> static ip address?
>>

>> something tells me no...:)
>>
>> =====
>You are correct, it is not possible. You can do name based virtual
>hosting.

Can you add more IPs to the machine behind the router? if you have
available addresses just assign them to the box with ifconfig (assuming
you're on *nix - don't know about windows). Of course Jeff is right, but
thought this might be an option.

hth
Jeff

>Jeff

The information contained in this email along with all attachments is confidential and is
not to be shared without my permission and prior knowledge of who will be viewing it's contents
including all attachments.