httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Norton <...@oregonhanggliding.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Virtual Host ServerAlias Question
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:03:40 GMT
Hello all:

I am running Apache 2.0.48 and have the following vhosts.conf name based entry:

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
    ServerAdmin notmyrealaddress@example.com
    DocumentRoot /path/to/document/root/
    ServerName example.com
    ServerAlias example.com www.example.com
</VirtualHost>

I thought this would only allow example.com and www.example.com to served by apache out of
the Document Root.
Apparently this is not the case. Any DNS alias such as mail.example.com are also served by
Apache.

What do I need to do to make Apache only serve out example.com and www.example.com?
Can I use some sort of regexp or such on the ServerAlias line? Or...?

My DNS entries look this ( not sure if this matters much ):

<snip>
$ORIGIN example.com.
hosting                 IN      A      	1.2.3.4
mail                    IN      A      	1.2.3.4
ns                      IN      A       1.2.3.4
www                     IN CNAME        hosting
webmail                 IN CNAME        hosting
ftp                     IN CNAME        hosting
main                    IN      A       1.2.3.4
midvalleyhosting.com.   IN      A       1.2.3.4

Thanks for any help,

--
Jim Norton - http://www.jimnorton.org

"The art of listening is indispensable for the right use of the mind.
It is also the most gracious, the most open and the most generous of
human habits."
(Attributed to R. Barr, St. John's College, Annapolis, MD)