httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] FW: apache buffer the data
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:13:43 GMT
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 03:06:22PM -0700, Amit Jain wrote:
> Apache HTTP Server Users/Developers,
>
> I have an environment where Apache HTTP server serves the static
> contents and Tomcat server (4.x) serves the dynamic contents (Servlet).
>
> All Servlet requests are forwarded to tomcat server by apache http
> server.
>
> In one of the business application I flush the data to http response
> stream after every 10 bytes. This data must reach client browser
> immediately and should not be buffered by anyone in between. Tomcat
> understands the flush and works great but when this data reaches the
> apache http server (Remember apache forwards the dynamic requests to
> tomcat and act like a proxy) it buffers the data and does not send it
> out immediately. I took the liberty to debug http server to find if
> there is any way to avoid this buffering. No luck.

If tomcat has a way of sending a "flush" to the webapp module you use,
then the webapp module *can* send a "flush bucket" down the filter chain
to ensure that any buffered data is sent immediately to the network.
What webapp module are you using?  Probably you should file a bug
against it.

Regards,

joe