httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Burden" <...@burden.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] problem with distant vs. local acces with apache 2
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:48:37 GMT
netstat -a

man netstat

telnet ip_address:80

On the host, try lynx localhost

I can imagine where some ISPs would indeed block port 80.

-----Original Message-----
From: irisson jean-olivier [mailto:jo.irisson@noos.fr]
Sent: June 12, 2004 2:43 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] problem with distant vs. local acces with apache
2

Michael wrote:
> Based on what you've said here I would say that your port 80 isn't open
for
> connections.  If you try to telnet and can't connect on this port, that's
> pretty good indication that's what's happening.
>
> You should check your machines config's to ensure that this port is open
for
> connections.

Hi again,

indeed I should have checked this earlier. thanks. it seems that my port
80 is closed. an online portscan gives me only 21 (FTP) and 22 (SSH)
open within 0 to 139 ports.
but the reason why I didn't check before is because I have never done a
thing to close this port (my firewall is supposed to let specifically
this one open!! furthermore after disabling the firewall, the result is
the same...)
Do you know how I can check directly on my computer if my settings let
this port open? (like a port list, a configuration file that I can check
or something. apart from my firwall settings. I'm running Mandrake 10.0
official).
I've read about Internet Providers that do not let people access to your
port 80 (and charge you extra if you want to setup a web server) but
keep it open anyway to fetch information on your usage of your
connection. is it a simple rumor or does that exists for real?

dear apache users, thank you again in advance for your lights on this
matter!!! ;-)

Jean-Olivier