httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Blocking Visitors
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 08:18:41 GMT
I'd like to learn how to block certain visitors or
computers from my website. I remember reading that you
could do it with Apache - based on their IP number, I
believe.

Am I correct in stating that every computer has an IP
number? If so, how do I determine what my IP number
is?

Also, what tricks could a visitor use in beating the
block? In other words, imagine I had an online forum
that requires users to register with a username and
password. If I block a visitor (computer) with IP
number 007, that individual could still register if
s/he had a second computer with a different IP number,
right? Is there any way they can register with the
same computer - like through an "anonymizer" or
something? Are there ways they can hide or change
their IP numbers?

Thanks.