httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts - What am I doing wrong?
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:36:47 GMT

--- Tim Burden <Tim@Burden.ca> wrote:
> No, I'm saying your vhosts are probably OK, but the
> reason your includes
> need to look that way is because of that line, which
> is extraneous.
>
> By the way you should never piddle with your
> superglobals like that.

* * * * * * * * * *

This all started when I was trying out ZendStudio. I
got some sort of error message that suggested I use
"constant" includes. I didn't know what it meant, so I
ask on some online forums, and people suggested I use
that particular include link, though several
variations of it were recommended.

Then they told me I had to set up virtual hosts to
make it work. Speaking of which, something just flaked
out. I wanted to return to my first virtual host
setting - which worked beautifully, except for those
PHP includes.

But I'm now getting all sorts of weird feedback.
Typing in http://rep5/ leads to a blank screen, or I
see the home page of sites/geobop whether I type in
http://geobop, http://rep5 or http://geozoo Sometimes,
if I click on one of my links to a site - say geozoo,
it seems to "adopt" that site, so that if I later
click on the link to geoworld, I get
http://geozoo/geoworld

I'm thoroughly confused.

Again, here are the relevant paths:

C:/xampp/apache/
C:/xampp/htdocs/
C:/sites/[my websites]

Here's what I have in my HOSTS file:

#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          #
source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x
client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 geobop
127.0.0.1 geowebworks
127.0.0.1 geoworld
127.0.0.1 geozoo
127.0.0.1 geosymbols
127.0.0.1 politix
127.0.0.1 geoworldNA
127.0.0.1 geoworldSA
127.0.0.1 geoworldEurasia
127.0.0.1 geoworldMideast
127.0.0.1 geoworldAfrica
127.0.0.1 geoworldAus
127.0.0.1 geoworldAnt
127.0.0.1 geoworldOceanus
127.0.0.1 geozoo
127.0.0.1 geozooBirds
127.0.0.1 geozooMammals
127.0.0.1 geobopcom
127.0.0.1 rep5
127.0.0.1 jail4bush
127.0.0.1 freedomware
127.0.0.1 edrevolt
127.0.0.1 seaschools
127.0.0.1 seattleschooldistrict
127.0.0.1 glasspalace
127.0.0.1 johnstanford
127.0.0.1 govwa
127.0.0.1 vmak
127.0.0.1 bergeson

And here's what I have in my conf file:

#<VirtualHost *>
#    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
#    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
#    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
#    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
#    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log
common
#</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin admin@localhost
DocumentRoot "c:/sites"
ServerName localhost
ErrorLog logs/localhost_error.log
CustomLog logs/localhost_access.log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin webmaster@geobop
DocumentRoot "c:/sites/geobop"
ServerName geobop
ServerAlias *.geobop
ErrorLog logs/geobop-error.log
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "c:/sites/geobop/cgi-bin/"
<Directory "c:/sites/geobop">
Options All Includes Indexes
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

[Followed by all my other websites.]

I also tried it without the first block of code...

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin admin@localhost
DocumentRoot "c:/sites"
ServerName localhost
ErrorLog logs/localhost_error.log
CustomLog logs/localhost_access.log common
</VirtualHost>

but that didn't work, either. I can't figure out what
I did wrong.