httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick <n...@finiteautomata.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Worker MPM tweaks help
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:04:55 GMT
Thanks again Josh.  I appreciate all your patience.
I would like to be safe and make sure the server can handle heavy loads.  What is better to
increase ThreadsPerChild or MaxClients.  Should I increase the MaxClients and/or ThreadsPerChild
even higher or do you think this is overkill?

On average I see 10 processes running.  If I have ThreadsPerChild = 48 and divide that into
MaxClients 720, 15 processes running would be my max.  It would take a pretty giant load for
my server to jump from 10 processes to 15 right?

Thanks again,
Nick
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Nick wrote:
> Our servers do occasionally have higher loads but on average these
> connections are the norm.  How can I determine a good guess at how many
> connections I can have to the box before it chokes?  I thought that if I
> have 1700 megs of available RAM and the average process is 8 mbs then
> MaxClients should be something like 212 or 200 not higher.  I have read
> the docs on this a few times and the O'Reilly Apache Cookbook but am
> still confused.  Does MaxClients refer to the Maximum number of
> connections that can be handled by my box or does it mean the maximum
> number of connections that can be handled by each process?

MaxClients is the total number of connections that can be handled in all
processes.

>If needed will Apache continue to spawn as many processes as it needs til
> you run out of memory?

No, it will only not spawn any more processes if [number of
processes]*ThreadsPerChild > MaxClients.

And you certainly don't want apache spawning processes until it runs out
of memory.  You want to set MaxClients so that never happens.  Because any
web server that is actively using swap space will slow to a crawl.

Joshua.