httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick <n...@finiteautomata.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Worker MPM tweaks help
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:19:17 GMT
Hello, I am trying to tune my Apache worker MPM settings.  I posted a question last month about
performance tuning and got some great feedback but I am still trying to get my settings fine
tuned.  I ran some ab tests from another server while modifying my settings.  The best results
I got were from the following settings
StartServers         2
MaxClients         720
MinSpareThreads     64
MaxSpareThreads    160
ThreadsPerChild     48
MaxRequestsPerChild  0

My machine is a dedicated webserver that hosts 30 or 40 vhosts.  I has 2gb of RAM and the
average httpd process takes up about 8mbs.  I have 8 of these servers behind a Cisco Content
Server Switch which load balances the servers.  Using these settings I see on the CSS that
on average there are 265 connections to each box at any given time.  Are my settings appropriate?
 I am not sure why these gave me the best results with multiple ab tests.

Our servers do occasionally have higher loads but on average these connections are the norm.
 How can I determine a good guess at how many connections I can have to the box before it
chokes?  I thought that if I have 1700 megs of available RAM and the average process is 8
mbs then MaxClients should be something like 212 or 200 not higher.  I have read the docs
on this a few times and the O'Reilly Apache Cookbook but am still confused.  Does MaxClients
refer to the Maximum number of connections that can be handled by my box or does it mean the
maximum number of connections that can be handled by each process?

If needed will Apache continue to spawn as many processes as it needs til you run out of memory?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions,
Nick