httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Turning Off Apache
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:24:07 GMT
I decided to take another shot at virtual hosts. It
turned into a major disaster the last time I tried,
but I can see now that I have little choice but go the
virtual host route.

But I immediately got stuck on somethin much simpler -
shutting down Apache. I have Apache installed as a
service on Windows XP, so I never have to turn it on
or off. The quickest, simplest way to turn Apache off
is to open Windows Task Manager and just kill it. Is
this OK, or can it damage something?

The instructions say the command to turn Apache off is
apache -k stop, or apache -k shutdown. I can't type
anything in Apache's "daemon," or whatever it's
called. So I have to use Windows "command prompt,"
right?

At any rate, I typed both commands into command
prompt, and had no luck. I thought perhaps I need to
navigate to the Apache folder first, so I managed to
change directories to c:\xampp\apache\, and I still
struck out.

Surely there's an easier way to turn off Apache. (Or
do I absolutely have to turn it off before I can set
up a virtual host?) Any tips?

Thanks.