httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eugene Lee <list-apa...@fsck.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd.conf - tuning performance
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:44:23 GMT
On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 12:26:47PM +0200, Kommuru, Bhaskar wrote:
:
: Thanks Eugene & Robert, It is helping now.
: The document says as below.
:          BeOS - beos
:          Netware - mpm_netware
:          OS/2 - mpmt_os2
:          Unix - prefork
:          Windows - mpm_winnt
: 1. When apache uses "worker.c" module
: 2. My apache2.0.49 is compiled with "prefork". So it mean i can use only
: directives that are available from  "prefork" and not from "workder.c".

Basically, yes.

: I am getting there, bit struck here. Please help me

I think you are making things more complicated than reality.  :-)

The set of directives in the "<IfModule prefork.c>" block are used by
Apache if the web server is compiled to use the prefork MPM.  And the
set of directives in the "<IfModule worker.c>" block are used by Apache
if the web server is compiled to use the worker MPM.  Since Apache may
be compiled to use only one MPM at a time, it may use only one set of
directives at a time.

So why does Apache's standard httpd.conf contain multiple blocks for
each MPM?  For the sake of completeness I supposed.  Maybe it is easier
to maintain one httpd.conf with all of the settings than to have many
httpd.conf files per MPM (e.g. httpd-prefork.conf, httpd-worker.conf,
httpd-beos.conf, etc.).

--
Eugene Lee