httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] preventing image theft
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:16:50 GMT
Eugene Lee wrote:
> 95% is a good start.  And while the CGI wrapper solution may or may
> not catch the other 5%, the resources required to develop the solution
> may be exponentially proportional to the goal of catching that final 5%.
> In other words, it may not be worth it.  :-)  Thanks again.

I assume your concern is that people are hot-linking your images on forums
and web-sites etc. Even if some people (the 5%) can see them, most (the 95%)
cannot, so it will be pointless to hot-link them.

You could also display a notice of this with the images, and so prevent
people believing hot-linking will work. That would probably render the
"thefts" a non-issue.

Regards,
Robert Andersson