httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] assembly language and apache
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:56:04 GMT
Barth (John) Jones wrote:
> OK, perhaps the term "language" isn't ordinarily applied to hexidecimal in
> computing circles.  For that matter, perhaps not even binary considered a
> language--but I think rather it is.  We can even go so far down as the
three
> voltages from your transformer.  But, you know, they are all **in fact**
no
> different from a language.  You have two terms in the binary
language--zero
> and one.  They can be used to represent all sorts of things from keyboard
> expressions to instructions, even sound and images.

No, it is not a language; it is a system of representation. It becomes a
language when you define the semantics of the bits, and then representation
is irrelevant. Digits are just random data unless you apply a protocol of
how they should be interpreted - that is a language.

This is really (and I mean *really*) off-topic. If you are interested in
arguing assembly vs. binary/hex, I suggest a coding forum.

Regards,
Robert Andersson