httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Environment diference between UNIX and windows
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:16:52 GMT
David W. Gulley wrote:
>    When retreiving the environment variables
>       for example $ENV{SCRIPT_FILENAME}
>    Unix gives a path with no drive:
>        /home/user/public-html/cgi-bin/myperl.pl
>    and windows includes the drive:
>        C:/home/user/public-html/cgi-bin/myperl.pl

I don't see how that is a difference. A full path on Windows includes the
drive, while on *nix it doesn't (because they don't exist). That is not a
difference in the semantics of the environment variable; it is a difference
between the operating systems.

If the drive letter wasn't included on Windows, it wouldn't be a full and
valid path.

> Bottom line:
>     Does the server always report the actual physical path when
> it provides the environment variables?

I surely hope so. What else should it put there? Anything but the real path
doesn't make sense. Without the drive letter, the path is useless unless you
assume a drive letter (which is a bad idea).

Bottom line: What are you trying to do? Please explain your goal and it
might be easier to suggest how it should be accomplished.

Regards,
Robert Andersson