httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] authentication
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:48:48 GMT
[plain text!]

Barth (John) Jones wrote:
> So my problem is that every time I try to create my main password
> authentication file using the "htpasswd" program distributed with Apache
> for this purpose, I get the following error:
>
> "Automatically using MD5 format. htpasswd cannot create file . . ."

htpasswd is a stand-alone program, so your Apache configuration is
irrelevant to this error. Please show how and where you try to invoke the
command (which working directory, and EXACT command line (you may obscure
any password)). Also, does the password file you are attempting to create
already exist before running the command?

Regards,
Robert Andersson