httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Million+ web pages in a single directory?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:57:23 GMT
lherbst@propappr.marion.fl.us wrote:
> Are there any issues we should be concerned about with Apache
> or Windows 2000 handling 1 million+ web pages in a single directory?

I think you should try. However, in order for requests to be efficient the
OS must keep the entire directory in memory; which it might not do.

If there is a significant performance hit, you could do a pretty simple and
transparent hashing structure. Just clump a couple of thousandsfiles in each
directory, preferably so that most accessed files are in the same directory,
then use mod_rewrite to make this invisible to the user.

Regards,
Robert Andersson