httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Burden" <...@burden.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Moving apache from one host to another
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:55:24 GMT
Moving apache from one host to anotherSo can you ping http://my.host.name.edu ? This sounds
like a DNS problem.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Poythress, Lynn
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 4:50 PM
  Subject: [users@httpd] Moving apache from one host to another

  Hello,

  We are currently running Apache 1.3.19 on an HP-UX 11.00 machine. I'm new at creating web
servers, so please bear with me!

  I have moved it to a new server - renaming the ServerName variable (from my.oldhost.name.edu
to my.host.name.edu) in the httpd.conf file.

  I've also added port 5556 to the new /etc/services file as the apache port.   I can successfully
start and stop apache - without any errors.

  However, when I try to access the server via the browser I run into problems.

  If I use IE I get an error that says 'Cannot find server or DNS error'.

  If I use Netscape I just get an error pop-up box that says the connection was refused.

  I'm just typing in the hostname on the browser - ie. http://my.host.name.edu.  If I type
http://my.host.name.edu:5556 I get the same errors.

  Do I need to re-run the configure, make and make install steps?  The doc. makes it sound
like I can change httpd.conf without re-doing any of that.

  Any ideas as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks,

  Lynn Poythress

  California State University, Sacramento