httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joey Hewitt" <j...@joeyhewitt.com>
Subject [users@httpd] HTML compression module?
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:21:18 GMT
Hi,

I found a site that lets you paste (X)HTML or CSS into a textarea and submit
it to a script that strips out newlines and other stuff that is not strictly
necessary for correct parsing.  This effectively "compresses" the stuff - I
lopped 40% off of my css file.  It's at
http://www.peterbe.com/plog/blogitem-040406-1/compressor - I'm sure there's
lots of other sites offering this type of thing.  I just Googled upon this
one first.

Anyhow, does anyone know of a module for Apache that does this to content as
it leaves the server?  It's an interesting alternative, or perhaps additive,
to gzip'ping the content, for browsers that don't support that (which, btw,
does anyone know which versions of IE support compression?)  I'd do it
on-disk instead of live, but my setup consists of PHP programs feeding
Smarty data from themselves and textfiles, so the HTML is too spread out to
make that a convenient and attractive solution.

I'm thinking the overhead of the server doing this might outweigh or hardly
make a dent in the bandwidth savings enough to make this feasible, but it's
a worth a shot.  I might even write the module myself if there isn't already
one and it proves to be worthwhile enough.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Joey