httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eric L. Johnson" <esi-e...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Problems with "GET" method
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:38:05 GMT
I am currently running Linux 7.2 with Apache version 2.0.49.  I am currently having intermittent
problems with the "GET" method while running the Apache server.  I have read the RFC 2616
Section 5 and it states to put the request in the form of the following:

Request-Line = Method SP Request-URI SP HTTP-Version CRLF

For example, if I perform the following to MSN's website, I obtain the following:

telnet www.msn.com 80
Trying 207.68.172.234
Connected to www.msn.com
Escape Character is '^]'

GET / HTTP/1.0

The results come out as follows:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK (which is the desired result)
.
.
.
(followed by the correct HTML for the MSN home page)
.
.
Connection Closed by Foreign Host.

However, if I telnet to the MSN site and perform the following:

GET / HTTP/1.1

The results come out as follows:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request (which is not the desired result)
.
.
.
(followed by the incorrect HTML for the MSN home page)
.
Connection Closed by Foreign Host.

Why do I sometimes have to use "GET / HTTP/1.0 vs. GET / HTTP/1.1" to obtain the desired results
on some web pages and not on others.  I have even varied the format of the request line to
look the like the following: "GET / HTTP-1.1" or "GET / HTTP 1.1" which has afforded me more
consistent results on some web sites, whereas I perform the GET request utilizing HTTP 1.1
and I obtain the proper reply back from the remote host.   Is there a format for the request
line that would be consistent with the specification and yield consistent results?  Any assistance
that you can afford would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you very much!

Eric.