httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Barth \(John\) Jones" <musicbyba...@alltel.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] cgi
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:29:05 GMT
Thanks Boyle, my basic HTML files are working perfectly now.  Now I just
need access to a cgi-bin.  Can you direct me to the directive in the config
file that I need to find this directory?  This is open to anyone.  Thanks.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 11:08 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] cgi

It's actually a pre-requisite to posting questions - not just something to
do when you get around to it. However, your postings are improving in
quality, detail and tone...

> I'm running Apache2Triad on WindowsXPPro.

Useful information. Your main source of documentation is therefore:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ (hint, hint...)

> Part of the equation has changed.  Now when I enter
> http://localhost or
> http://127.0.0.1 in the address bar (Inet Exporer) my browser
> directs me
> here:
>
> Index of /
>             Name                    Last modified      Size
> Description---------------------------------------------------
> --------------
> ---------------[icon: "?"]   htdocs
> 01-Jun-2004 02:25  177
> [folder icon] phpsftpd/               01-Jun-2004 02:25    -
> [folder icon] phpxmail/               01-Jun-2004 02:25    -
> [folder icon] uebimiau/               01-Jun-2004 02:25    -
> Is this a step in the right direction?

Absolutely. Your server is working.

What you are seeing is a directory listing of the directory defined by your
DocumentRoot directive. This is the place apache goes to first to look for
content. If it's the wrong directory, edit DocumentRoot to point to the
desired directory.

If you want a page to open here, check your DirectoryIndex directive. This
tells apache the name(s) of any file to open automatically if it finds it.
By default, this is "index.html" so simply creating a file with that name
might work. Alternatively, set DirectoryIndex to point to the file you want
opened automatically.

Read the relevant sections in the docs for these directives
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/directives.html before doing anything.

Only when you are completely happy with plain files, should you worry about
CGIs, by the way.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle