httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Byrd Harrison" <b...@gnc.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] users sharing username/password
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:44:23 GMT
Hi Laura,
  Thanks for responding to my post.
> The problem with users sharing passwords is that it will never stop.

So true

> One way to  make it less likely is to restrict specific logins to specific
IP
> addresses.  The side effect of this is that users will not be able to
> login from anywhere but their own desk.

That was my intention, since it was my only option.

> The best way to lessen this problem is to have strict company policies
> about this and make sure they are enforced.  Let people know that their
> jobs could be at stake if someone else is using their password and does
> something to get them in trouble.

At least there is some recourse in a workplace environment.
 I am protecting proprietary information for my buisness on the Internet.
Once the foul has occured it is to late. That is why I need to stop it
before
 it occurs.

> The solution that I use here is software based and logs to a database
> backend. <snip>  It's a wonderful deterrant.

That is my current method. I would like to automate the process to free
up more time for other chores.  Thanks Again!   Byrd