httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Zoe Ballz" <...@zoeballz.tv>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Two NIC's, One Server
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:03:49 GMT
>>If your interested in security, DON?T DO THAT !
>>A device which acts as a router/gateway/firewall should not offer
>>services, at least not accessible via uncontrolled nets / Internet.

I agree completely - here's a few rules for you:

1: Puters are cheap (especially if only for a home network) so don't be a cheapskate.
2: NEVER mix network controllers/routers with servers. If you REALLY want hackers to get in
easy - you go ahead !!!!!!!
3: it is better practice to have separate servers for each service e.g. FTP, EMAIL, HTTP -
that way if 1 server goes down the others keep running.
4: (and others may disagree with me on this) - Get a PROPER router and don't be tempted by
using a software router on a cheap PC. Cisco routers are well worth the price. I know people
who have tried routing software on cheap PC's and eventually some clever bugger comes along
with a hack to break it. At least decent routers have experts working on bios upgrades etc
to ensure the security.
5: it really IS worth setting up a home server network like this -
     1 x fileserver accessed by other servers but NOT running any server software and DON'T
be tempted to use it for anything else including web browsing
     1 x http server using disks on fileserver
     1 x email server
     1 x ftp
etc etc
On a small scale it is cheap to do and is far more reliable than running all your software
on 1 machine.

You don't find people like Yahoo running http and routing software on the same machine.

I'm 1/2 expecting others to shoot me down now !!!!! but I'm 99% sure I'm right !!!!!!!

All the best

Zoe

http://zoeballz.net - Website Hosting for the Transgendered Community