httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Zoe Ballz" <...@zoeballz.tv>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Access Denied (401) when trying to reach Apache 2 from local network
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:36:18 GMT
Hiya

Ok this is whats happening (probably)

Externally, if someone types in www.blabla.com it does a dns lookup and
comes back with the ip address - which happens to be the ip of your router.
The request is then sent to your router which routes through to port 80 in
your server - Thats great

Internally, if you type in www.blabla.com it does a dns and also will get
the ip of your router. The request then goes to your router, which of course
hasnt got a clue what to do with the request other than to server from its
own built in server .

If your router is a "normal" adsl router it can only route external ports to
internal so
"When I try to
: get to the website using either the domain name, or the external IP
: address of my router (which then forwards to the local IP, of course), "
NO IT DOESNT.

You should try setting up the "HOSTS" file on the pc you are trying to
access your server with. It works like a dns lookup but without actually
looking up on dns !!

Look in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc for a file called HOSTS. the file
contains the information you need.

All the best

Zoe

p.s.
"If I'm outside the LAN (conveniently tested by jumping on my neighbor's
: unsecured wireless),"

Don't bother moving next door to me unless you enjoy pain. =-)

http://zoeballz.net - Website Hosting for the Transgendered Community