httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael" <x...@xshellr8.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Should counters be used and if, which one?
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:21:08 GMT
I have to agree here, I also prefer webalizer versus some form of
counter.

I use phpnuke and it has a mechanism within their Site Info block that
has page views for a basic type of counter.  For real world values
however and for more detailed analysis, webalizer is the way to go.  You
can then post or make available the results of webalizer to the public
if you desire as it's web based.

Hope this helps,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Beecher Rintoul [mailto:akbeech@northwindcom.dyndns.org]
Sent: June 11, 2004 3:58 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Should counters be used and if, which one?

On Friday 11 June 2004 01:40 pm, Harald Falkenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are hit counters usable or just performance killer? Which counters can
be
> recommanded to use and is there a limit of pages, which such counters
can
> handle?
>

> Any experience and hints are welcome!
>
> regards
> 	Harald

There are lots of cgi and php based counters, but I much prefer a log
analyzer
such as webalizer which will parse your log file and give you stats and
referrers along with hits. I never much liked having a visable counter
on the
page.

Just my $.02

Beech
Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech@northwindcom.dyndns.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310