httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Todd" <t...@castaweb.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] can I resolve vhost to ip + port
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:25:54 GMT
That's a good suggestion, Tim. It didn't even cross my mind.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to the DNS server on this one, but I
have another site I want to move as well and I do have access to that
DNS server.

Thanks, Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Johnson [mailto:asfml@eggserver.tallships.ca]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 12:57 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; Robert Andersson
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] can I resolve vhost to ip + port

Quoting Robert Andersson <robert@profundis.nu>:

> Todd wrote:
> > 1. I should have mentioned that I have two IPs -- one as the main
> > server IP and another "shared" IP that I'd like to use for several
vhosts,
> > including the one I'm working on. So now I'm thinking this won't
work,
> > right?
>
> Uhm... I suppose it should work, if you do it right. I'm not
absolutely
> clear on how you want it to work, so I cannot give detailed
instructions.

> > 2. I did read up a little on "name-based" vhosts versus old-style
> > vhosting. Can you use both at the same time should you need to?
>
> Yes, but it can get confusing. You can assign one IP/port-pair to each
such
> vhost, and then use one for several namebased vhosts.
>
> > 3. Finally, with the example below, would I also include
> > "DocumentRoot /www/desired_directory?"
>
> Yes, it was a very simplified example.
>
> Remember to also make Apache listen to any IP and port that you are
using.
> You didn't say if you had Apache 1.3 or 2.0, but at least for the
latter,
> see:
>     http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#listen
>
> Regards,
> Robert Andersson

If you have access to the DNS server (you mentioned you didn't want to
change it
yet, but if not setting yous hosts file may get you by) just create a
new entry,
like www2.domain and set your virthost in the config. Quite simple to
change
back when you're ready. Unless I totally mis-understood what you want to
do...