httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Barth \(John\) Jones" <musicbyba...@alltel.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] cgi
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:34:05 GMT

---------------[icon: "?"]   htdocs                  01-Jun-2004 02:25  177
[folder icon] phpsftpd/               01-Jun-2004 02:25    -
[folder icon] phpxmail/               01-Jun-2004 02:25    -
[folder icon] uebimiau/               01-Jun-2004 02:25    -
Is this a step in the right direction?----- Original Message -----
From: "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 3:10 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] cgi

This is a *much* clearer explanation of your problem. The diagnosis can
now be exact and therefore save you and me a lot of time:

First, be aware that the browser is one of those overly-clever versions
which is trying to "help" you when something goes wrong. It does this by
masking any real network layer errors and replacing them with cuddly
user-friendly pages and a surf to a search-engine. Of course, when
debugging, you *need* the nasty network layer errors...

I would guess one of two things:

- Apache is not running (so nothing is listening to port 80). Checking
if a process is running is OS-dependent and you didn't bother to mention
your OS so can't help you there. How did you try to start apache?

- "localhost" cannot be resolved by your computer. Just to check,
replace it with 127.0.0.1, ie http://127.0.0.1/index.html - later, you
can fix DNS (OS-dependent).

On a general note regarding maiil-list etiquette; be advised that each
posting is reflected to around 2,500 users world-wide. You will get
excellent support if you craft intelligent questions and show evidence
of having read the docs (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/), searched the
archives (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users) etc. Also,
it's useful to provide information like your OS and apache version (1.3
or 2?) - (processor speed and RAM are a bit OTT). A rule of thumb is
that the repsonse will be as long and detailed as the question. So if
you post a one-sentence "doesn't work" question, don't be offended if
you get a one-sentence "tough luck" response. Of course, this rambling
riposte you're reading is the exception to the rule and is a consequence
of me having a slow morning.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.